How to make a trellis for lemongrass and tie it up
All climbing plants for normal growth and development need support; therefore, growing them at home, you will have to take care of installing trellis on the beds. This also applies to the cultivation of Chinese magnolia vine, and what exactly is needed to create a structure and how to properly build it - this will be discussed in this article.
What to do
In the home production of supporting structures for plants, any available products are used, the most popular of which are metal pipes of different diameters, thin and not very thin boards, wooden strips, plastic gratings and even ordinary nylon threads stretched in several rows between side supports.
When breeding lemongrass, it is advisable to select only strong structural elements that can definitely withstand not only the vine itself, but also the fruits formed on it, increasing its weight. This can be a metal profile, a coarse-grained wooden mesh (similar to the one used in arranging altanoks. And also just a set of wooden bars, from which, if you have imagination, you can build a suitable support).
Did you know? Despite the fact that today lemongrass is usually used only for decorative purposes, the benefits of its fruits have been known since ancient times. For example, the Chinese have been using them for centuries to treat headaches and simply as a good tonic.
Design characteristics for lemongrass
The most suitable variant of the supporting structure specifically for lemongrass will be openwork trelliseswhich, given the botanical features of creepers, are simply necessary. In adult culture, female flowers are located at an altitude of 2–2.5 m from the soil surface, while male specimens are located only a meter from the ground.
In the first year of cultivation, next to the plant, you will have to install a one and a half meter wicker structure, regularly increasing it as the magnolia vine itself grows. Without support, its stems will begin to creep along the surface of the soil, straying in a lump, and this will not only reduce productivity, but also complicate the process of collecting ripe berries. Growing along openwork trellises, such a problem is excluded, so if possible it is worth installing just such a support next to the stands.
As a last resort, permissible alternatives for such structures are ladders, wall-mounted wooden supports, consisting of several tiers, fences and figured trellises, on wire or wire frames. Flexible lemongrass vine can decorate arbors, canopies and other outbuildings in the country, and sometimes plants are planted at the border with a neighboring site, directing shoots along the fence.
Important! Growing along the walls of the house, a liana, over time, will begin to close the windows, thereby creating a shadow inside the rooms. For this reason, when growing plants near residential buildings, it is better to plant them from the side without windows.
All this will be an acceptable way to grow a crop, the main thing is not to allow it to grow too high, otherwise the fruit harvest will be difficult (the optimal height of the supporting structure is 3 m).
So that after mounting on the support, the shoots do not sag, they it is worth attaching to the construction details with soft ropes, tying in separate places and on one side of the structure. When preparing lemongrass for the winter season, the trellis will have to be removed from the ground and laid on the ground surface along with shrunken vines plants. From above they are covered with spruce branches or any artificial covering material to protect the root system from freezing.
This procedure will be especially important for regions with frosty and cold winters, so here it is worth initially providing a collapsible support for lemongrass
How to make a trellis
Features of the construction of the trellis and the phasing of the process itself will depend on the selected material and the available tool. For example, if you plan to create a wooden structure, then you will have to prepare a drill and self-tapping screws or use only a hammer and nails, while for working with metal parts you can not do without a welding machine and grinder. In order to avoid mistakes at the very beginning of the robot and get a really high-quality support it is worthwhile to study all the nuances of its creation in advance.
Video: Making trellises for climbing plants
The easiest way to organize a support for lemongrass without accurate calculations and using wooden elements will be the construction of 20-30 strong branches or bending already peeled thin sticks, with a diameter of 1 cm and a length of about 1.5–2 m. To fix them together, you can use any convenient wire or pieces of rope.
Important! So that the wooden material does not deteriorate and lasts as long as possible, it is worth covering it with water-repellent impregnation, varnish or at least painting.
The process of creating such a support is simple and consists of the following sequential actions:
- First, disassemble and lay out all the prepared branches or sticks in front of you.
- Take one of them and stick next to the lemongrass into the ground to a depth of 10-12 cm.
- Place the second stick in the same way, slightly departing from the first and bending at an angle of 60 degrees to it.
- In the upper part, tie both, achieving their stable fixation.
- With the next and subsequent pair, follow the same steps so that later they will turn out diamonds of suitable width.
- Secure the diamonds with wire so that they do not deform, and then cut off the protruding ends of the structure.
- Form a rectangular lattice with cells in the form of rhombuses from all prepared elements, trying to fix them as stable as possible.
For winter, the structure can be dismantled and, lowering the plant to the ground, cover it with spruce branches or artificial material.
If desired, and a sufficient amount of time, you can go the more difficult way of creating a wooden support, though then in this case the design will be more durable.
From tools and materials you will need the following:
- wooden bars with a cross section of 60 × 40 mm;
- edged board with a cross section of 20 × 120 mm;
- slats with a cross section of 20 × 40 mm;
- self-tapping screws 4.2 × 76 mm (preferably black, with a rare pitch);
- self-tapping screws (galvanized) 3 × 35 mm;
- wood impregnation;
- yacht varnish;
- galvanized box with a cross section of 60 × 60 mm (the quantity depends on the number of supporting elements);
- cement and sand for fastening the support.
The total height of the structure from the ground can be 1.9 m with a width of 1.8 m and a height of the lower beam of 0.3 m from the soil surface with observance of a step between the rails of 0.2 m. These values can be adjusted depending on the size of the beds with lemongrass, which will affect the amount of all the above details.
Did you know? In Schizandra chinensis there are no poisonous compounds of plant origin, so when drinking drinks or dishes using its berries, you can not worry about your health: alkaloids and glycosides can not harm him.
The support construction process involves several sequential steps:
- First, measure the desired length and width of individual bars and slats, and then cover all the wooden elements of the future structure with impregnation and then with two layers of varnish, each time drying them well (later you will have to update the varnish layer at least once every 2 years, previously cleaning the previous one).
- Having prepared the wooden blocks properly, dig holes in the installation sites of the structure with a depth of at least 40 cm.
- On the ends of wooden blocks put on the galvanized profile boxes and fix them with self-tapping screws. The gap between the wall of the “nozzle” and the beam can be eliminated using pieces of plywood (residual material, 10 mm thick).
- Expose the wooden supports from the beam at the desired height, adding small stones to the bottom of the pit if necessary.
- Secure the support posts with transverse and temporary supports and concrete the base.
- Once the solution has hardened, divide the sections in half with additional bars for greater structural strength, dividing it into cells. Fasten all joints with better prepared galvanized self-tapping screws and, if the section has a slope, it is advisable to equip the trellis with transverse bars in the form of a ladder.
- Install the inclined rails of the first layer, fixing them with self-tapping screws. To ensure a constant angle of inclination and to simplify the work, two caliber sizes of 200 mm can be additionally made from scraps.
- Fix the slats of the second layer first at the bottom and top, and then in the middle part, taking into account their possible curvature.
To protect the supporting trellis from rain and other external adverse factors, you can install a visor above it, made of a 20 × 120 mm board or a piece of tin sheet, which in color will fit the rest of the structural parts.
All possible metal supports for lemongrass can be divided into several main types, depending on the main material of their creation: pipes, forged elements, mesh or wire. To organize a metal mesh support, a wire with a cross section of 2.5 mm is suitable, which must withstand increased loads. The main feature of the manufacture of such supports is the uniformity and symmetry of the created cells, which in the future will allow you to evenly and beautifully distribute lemongrass vine.
If you need to organize a high trellis, more than two meters, fittings (1.5-1.8 m in length) or pipes with a diameter of 3 cm are ideal for installing vertical support elements. As horizontal elements of this design, thin reinforcement with a thickness of not more than 0.5–0.7 cm can be used. In order to maximally facilitate the installation of supporting parts, the ends of pipes and fittings should be cut at an angle of 40–60 degrees, deepening the lower part of the metal part in the earth is no less than a third of its entire length, since the finished reinforcing grill will weigh a lot.
The easiest way to create a metal structure for lemongrass will be the option of using two metal columns and a coarse-mesh mesh stretched between them (10 × 10 cm cells are perfect).
The manufacturing process of such a trellis is simple and is based on the following successive steps:
- Coating the pillars and the net itself with an anti-corrosion agent.
- Installing posts and fixing them in pre-arranged holes (can be poured with cement for reliability).
- Mesh tension and its fixation on the side posts using wire segments or special hooks that are attached to the rings welded along the entire length of the pipe.
- At the end of the summer season, it remains only to remove the grid from the mount and lay the plants with it on the ground for further shelter. Metal poles will remain in their place until next year, and so that they do not rust, it is better to paint them right away, updating the layer once every few years.
More complicated manufacturing of metal supporting structures involves welding and a greater number of long metal rods or plates. As in the case of wooden products, they must be fastened together so that as a result there are many diamond cells, to the joints of which the plant vines will be attached in the future.
Important! So that the surface of the stems of the culture does not come into contact with iron and does not oxidize, during tying, it is worthwhile to perform the procedure so that between the surfaces there is a cloth lining of a lace or piece of fabric for attachment.
Without the garter of the culture, it will not be possible to wait for lemongrass fruits to support, therefore, the procedure must be performed already at the initial stages of plant cultivation. In the first 3-4 years of life, its vines are raised to a height of 1.5-2 meters, for which it is necessary to make a trellis with the ability to attach the first shoots at a height of 0.5 m. Then, as they grow, tie them up every 0.7 m .
It is best to set the trellis per year of planting crops on the site. In the case when this is not possible, you can install next to the lemongrass just a support stake, after a year replacing it with a full trellis. It is advisable to tie the shoots of culture to an organized support throughout the summer as the vines grow. As soon as they become very long, they are fan-mounted on the upper tiers, evenly distributing over the entire surface of the support.
To attach parts of the plant to the supporting structure, it is best to use soft tissue sections, slightly clamping the stems of the culture with them (they should not cut into the tissue). Alternatively, you can tie them up with a thin wire, but the main thing is to choose options covered with an insulating layer that will not allow the wire to squeeze the branches of lemongrass
Without a suitable support, you should not even take up the cultivation of a liana-like lemongrass, because the shoots of the plant will ultimately become confused and lose their decorative effect, not to mention the absence of fruiting. All of the above trellis options are easy to make with your own hands. Therefore, having spent a little time and effort on their construction, as a reward you will receive an excellent decorative element for any site, which is already worth all the effort.