Description and characteristics of hydrangeas Pink Pincushen
Tree-like hydrangea Pink Pincushion belongs to the category of plants that have recently been found frequently in household plots. Due to the high indicators of frost resistance and attractive appearance, it has found its application in the design of landscape design. But in order for this tree-like variety to please its beauty and bright flowering for a long time, it is necessary to arrange its proper planting and proper care.
Description and characteristics of the variety
The name of the hydrangea is Pink Pincushion in Latin - Hydrangea arborescens Pink Pincushion. The appearance of the plant is a bush. The bush is quite sprawling, the shape is hemispherical.
Important! A sufficient amount of free space around hydrangea is the key to obtaining a well-developed and externally attractive shrub.
The following characteristics are included in the description of hydrangea Pink Pincushen:
- the height of the bush is on average 1–1.2 m;
- when they say that a hydrangea bush is very huge, this is due to the fact that its width when growing under normal conditions reaches 1.5 m;
- a large number of shoots come out from one plant, which are slightly lowered down;
- the formation of inflorescences occurs only on the shoots of the present, and not of past years;
- inflorescences have a domed, but fairly flat shape. Their diameter is 10–15 cm, and their length is 30–35 cm;
- the most active flowering period is observed in the period from June to the end of August;
- the color changes, since at the beginning of flowering it is pale pink, and by the end acquires a lilac-pink or even white color;
- the leaves of the plant have an ovoid or elliptical shape with slightly jagged ends and a diameter of about 8-15 cm. At the heart of the leaf is a recess in the shape of a heart.
Thanks to the tremendous work of breeders who worked on a representative of this tree hydrangea cultivar, the frost resistance of the plant became excellent. As practice shows, this hydrangea can cope with frosts that reach -29 ° C. But if the bush grows in conditions of a harsher winter, this is not scary, since after freezing it quickly recovers.
In order for the plant to feel good, actively grow and bloom, it is necessary to take care not only about the proper care of hydrangea, but also about its planting.
First of all, this includes choosing the right soil and place for planting shrubs, as well as observing all the basic rules of this process.
Soil selection and preparation
When deciding on the land on which Pink Pincushen hydrangea will be planted, the following important rules should be followed:
- the soil should be moderately acidic; an ideal pH should be pH 5;
- high fertility and humidity;
- sandy and calcareous soils are strictly prohibited;
- nearby, near the shrub, there should be no plants that absorb a large amount of moisture;
- when planting hydrangea in the middle lane or in the northern part, you need to choose illuminated places or areas with minimal shading. When landing in the south, penumbra would be an ideal option;
- A good choice for a plant is when it is in partial shade in the daytime, and slightly lit by the sun in the evening and in the afternoon.
Preparing the soil for hydrangea Pink Pincushen is a key step. The best soil option can be prepared if you take 1 part sand and peat, as well as 2 parts humus and leafy soil.
Did you know? Among the plants belonging to the Hortense family, you can find about 80 different species of this flowering shrub.
Planting a seedling occurs as follows:
- a few days before the seedling is planted, a pit should be prepared, the depth, length and width of which should be approximately 30 cm;
- it is necessary to introduce peat in advance into the pit together with humus in the ratio 1/3 of the bucket per bush;
- immediately before planting, you should take care of loosening the earth;
- placement of seedlings in the soil occurs in a strictly vertical direction. After the plant is sprinkled with earth, you need to look at the fact that the root neck is not buried in the ground, but rather, is at the level of the soil;
- at the last stage, you can pour the seedling with soft water and re-loosen the soil.
In the event that the gardener is going to plant the presented hydrangea variety, he must follow the following important rules:
- planting seedlings must be implemented only in the spring;
- planting a plant in the autumn is possible only in the southern regions;
- when planting a seedling, you need to try to keep the earthen lump to the maximum;
- between neighboring bushes you need to maintain a distance of 1 m, not less.
Important! Due to the early awakening of hydrangeas, Pink Pincusen needs to take care of the formation pruning procedure, which should occur before the juice starts to move.
How to care
After the seedlings are planted, the next step is to take care of the most proper care for hydrangea.
The list of actions that must be performed at the care stage includes:
- top dressing;
- mulching and loosening.
Video: hydrangea care
Hydrangea Pink Pincushen differs from other varieties in that it categorically does not tolerate a state of drought, so it is very important to monitor compliance with regular watering. In summer drought, watering the bush should be carried out 3-4 times a week. One adult plant needs about 15–20 L of water. If the weather on the street is excessively rainy, then you can water the bush 1 time per month.
Did you know? The first varieties of hydrangea were bred by originators from France Muer, Nancy, Vendome and Lemoine.
An equally important process is feeding for hydrangea. It must be performed as follows:
- since the shrub grows as actively as possible in the spring, it needs to be fed with nitrogen fertilizers with potassium and phosphorus. Moreover, the number of such top dressings should not be large enough. In order for the necessary elements to be quickly absorbed, fertilizers must be applied in liquid form;
- complex mineral fertilizers are necessary when the process of bud formation takes place. At the same time, nitrogen should not be used, since phosphorus and potassium should be preferred. You can also add to the soil 45 g of potassium sulfate and 70 g of superphosphates;
- if there is an active process of withering hydrangea buds, the shrub needs potassium. At the same time, such top dressing will help the plant to transfer the winter period more easily and increase its immunity.
Loosening and mulching
To mulch hydrangeas Pink Pincushen, you can use sawdust or peat. These components will further contribute to the conservation of moisture necessary for the shrub. In this regard, there will be no need for frequent watering of the plant.
Do not also forget that as soon as watering is carried out, you need to take care of loosening the soil. This process is extremely important due to the fact that in this way it will be possible to observe the necessary indicators of aeration. Roots after loosening will receive the largest possible amount of oxygen.
There are many ways to propagate tree hydrangea, but if there is a need to preserve all varietal characteristics, then preference should be given to vegetative methods.
Among them are:
- propagation by cuttings;
- the use of arched layering;
- division of the bush.
Cuttings are one of the most commonly used breeding methods in late spring or early fall.
Important! For the winter, you need to take care of such a process as the hilling of the bush, performed in height by about 20-30 cm.
To do this, be guided by the following algorithm.
- It is necessary to choose shoots on which there are no flowers. Cuttings need to be cut no more than 15 cm. In this case, it is necessary to ensure that several buds remain on each of them.
- The cuttings need to be well treated with a growth stimulator, and then dug in the area that is shaded.
- Using a plastic bottle, you need to cover each of the cuttings. At the same time, do not forget that from time to time the bottle must be removed for ventilation.
- For the first wintering you need to take care of shelter. For this, lapnik or a special material is used.
Also, do not forget that the planting of cuttings can be carried out in ordinary pots. You need to place them in the basement and take care of the systematic moisture of the soil. Those sprouts that are rooted must be planted in open ground in early spring.
At the beginning of autumn, the propagation of hydrangea of this variety is actively used through the use of arcuate layers according to the scheme below:
- The shoots of the annual type should be incised and gently bent into an arc, and then fixed with a wire.
- The resulting layering must be mulched, while it is worthwhile to ensure that the mulch is sufficiently nutritious.
- For the next year, provide the received planting material with a shadow zone and take care of constant hydration.
- By the onset of autumn, roots should form on the layering, due to which they will already act as full-fledged seedlings. Landing in the soil should be carried out in early spring, as for other breeding options.
Dividing the bush
No less frequently used method of reproduction is the division of the bush, which consists in the following actions:
- dig a bush that you liked;
- the base of the bush must be carefully divided into about 2-3 equal parts, it is very important that each of them has a healthy root system and at least a few shoots;
- all damage and cuts must be treated with charcoal;
- on the areas that need to be prepared in advance, the formed bushes should be landed.
In landscape design
Hydrangea Pink Pincushion has found its application in the design of landscape design for both group and single species plantings. It can often be found in gardens, in summer cottages or in public parks.
Did you know? The first hydrangea cultivar was imported into Russia from Japan in 1820.
The tree-like hydrangea Pink Pincushen is a lush and quite beautiful shrub, the cultivation of which will not cause difficulties, since it is unpretentious. At the same time, it is very important to monitor the plant's health and comprehensive care, so that hydrangea blooms please throughout the summer.