Features of the use of periwinkle plants in the treatment
The healing properties of periwinkle have been known since ancient times. Today it is used not only in folk healing for the treatment and prevention of various diseases, but also for the manufacture of pharmacological preparations that have an astringent, antihypertensive, anti-inflammatory and hemostatic effect. Under what ailments periwinkle helps, how, in what forms and dosages to use it - can be found in the article.
The chemical composition of periwinkle
Periwinkle is a perennial evergreen climbing plant in the form of a shrub, characterized by the presence of dark green leaves, in the axils of which five-petalled small flowers of blue or purple color are formed. The zone of mass distribution of culture are Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, the Caucasus and the Baltic countries.
Did you know? In ancient times, periwinkle was credited with many magical qualities. For example, in Germany, a wreath from a plant was hung above the front door so that it would protect the house from evil spirits, the evil eye and lightning strikes.
The high beneficial properties of the periwinkle are primarily due to its multifaceted chemical composition, which is represented by a large number of active biological components, micro- and macro-substances, alkaloids, phytosteroids, saturated fatty acids, and organic acids.
Particularly valuable in the composition of the plant are alkaloids, of which there are over 30:
- winkamine - a unique alkaloid with vasodilating functions, activates brain activity, improves the metabolism of nerve cells;
- vincaton - positively affects blood circulation, enriches cells with oxygen, improves brain activity;
- devinkan - has a sedative effect, calms the nervous system, reduces the negative effects of stress;
- vincristine - slows down and blocks the growth of benign cells, and in the first three stages, even malignant;
- vincapan - improves memory and concentration, eliminates headaches, normalizes the functioning of the cardiovascular system.
In addition, the composition of the plant has:
- vitamin C - has a positive effect on human immunity, increases protective functions, reduces the harmful effects of free radicals;
- tannins - remove toxins and harmful chemicals;
- succinic acid - has a sedative effect on the nervous system;
- carotene - normalizes the level of many hormones.
Important! Vinca alkaloids are toxic, therefore self-medication and the use of plant-based products are strictly not allowed without prior consultation with an experienced doctor.
Therapeutic and beneficial properties
As noted above, due to the unique rich chemical composition of periwinkle, which is represented by a huge range of components useful for human life, the plant is successfully used for the treatment and prevention of various ailments.
- Among its healing qualities, folk healers note the following positive properties:
- expands, strengthens blood vessels, makes them more durable and elastic;
- strengthens the immune system, allows you to fight viruses and infections faster and more efficiently;
- normalizes the brain;
- improves male potency;
- beneficial effect on the heart muscle.
Decoctions and tinctures from the leaves, stems of the plant are recommended for use with problems such as:
- nose bleed;
- headaches and migraines;
- high blood pressure and tachycardia;
- skin diseases;
- scurvy and gum problems;
- ulcers of the stomach and duodenum;
- stomatitis and gingivitis;
Pharmacological drugs made on the basis of periwinkle are prescribed:
- to normalize blood circulation in the brain;
- with acute leukemia;
- with mental retardation to children;
- with female menopause;
- to eliminate dizziness, migraine and headaches;
- with neurogenic tachycardia;
- as an antitumor agent;
- with vegetative-vascular dystonia.
If the tool is used in the right dosages and according to a certain scheme, then it has a beneficial effect on the entire human body, on its internal and external condition.
Harm and contraindications
For all the benefits of periwinkle with its consumption, you must be extremely careful. The culture is poisonous, therefore, when exceeding the permissible dosages, it can cause significant harm to health and cause a number of negative side reactions in the form of itching, allergic rashes, edema, severe headache, nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, rapid breathing.
- Categorical contraindications to taking funds are:
- lactation period;
- children under 12 years old;
- serious cardiac abnormalities.
Important! An overdose of drugs based on periwinkle can provoke a sharp drop in blood pressure, and in some cases — cardiac arrest.
Periwinkle, due to the mass of useful qualities that it possesses, is successfully used in many areas of human life, in particular, in cosmetology, traditional medicine, and the pharmacological field.
Due to its versatility, periwinkle raw materials have found widespread demand in the field of cosmetology. Manufacturers of decorative cosmetics include it in the composition of various products intended for the care of face and body skin. In some cases, herbal medicine is the main ingredient in the production of baby creams and lotions.
- Periwinkle-based cosmetic products allow:
- get rid of skin irritation and inflammation;
- relieve puffiness;
- eliminate acne and blackheads;
- make the skin more elastic and resilient, restore their tone.
The plant is used to create different shades of lipstick and an original aroma in perfumery. Moreover, in such products, the percentage of periwinkle raw materials should not exceed 10%
In folk medicine
Traditional medicine has a wide range of different recipes using the described plant. Use the culture both externally and for the treatment of internal organs. As medicinal raw materials, leaves, flowers and stems of perennials are used.
Periwinkle-based products are highly effective in the treatment of hypertension. They have a beneficial effect on the work of the cardiovascular and nervous systems, improve blood circulation, strengthen the walls of blood vessels and capillaries.
To stabilize blood pressure, use a periwinkle broth:
- chop plant leaves;
- take 2 tbsp. l pour raw materials 2 cups boiling water;
- the mixture is simmered for 10 minutes.
After the broth has cooled, it is recommended to filter it and take 1/3 cup three times a day, before eating.
In addition, to lower the pressure, traditional healers advise preparing alcohol tincture:
- dry grass (100 g) pour 500 ml of 40% alcohol;
- place the container with tincture in a cool, dark, well-ventilated place for 2 weeks;
- after the specified time, filter the tincture.
For medicinal purposes, the drug should be taken daily, morning and evening, one hour before meals, 8-10 drops, dissolving them in a tablespoon of warm boiled water. The therapeutic course is 4 days, after which you need to take a break for two weeks.
Did you know? Loving couples believed that if you divide the periwinkle leaf in half and everyone eat their own half, then their love will never pass.
For skin diseases
Decoctions and infusions of periwinkle have a wound healing, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial effect, which makes it possible to use them for external treatment of skin ailments, ulcers, purulent wounds, dermatitis. Using drugs, they wash the affected areas of the skin or make compresses.
The healing solution is prepared in this way:
- dry raw materials (2 tsp) pour 1 cup boiling water;
- simmer the broth over low heat for 60 minutes.
After the broth has cooled, it should be filtered and applied as directed.
Periwinkle infusion helps stop internal bleeding. To cook it, you should:
- dry leaves of the plant pour boiling water in a ratio of 1:10;
- means to insist not less than 3 hours, then strain and apply.
The dosage of the drug is 150 ml three times a day.
To strengthen the hemostatic effect of the culture, mixing it with the root of the stomach helps:
- grind root and periwinkle raw materials, mix in a ratio of 1: 2;
- take 60 g of the mixture and pour 1 liter of cold water;
- place the mixture on fire, bring to a boil and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half;
- cool the broth, strain.
When bleeding, drink a decoction of 150 ml cold in the morning and evening
For cerebral vessels
Leaf decoction helps to improve blood circulation in the brain, strengthen brain activity, strengthen blood vessels, make them more elastic and strong, relieve spasms, and eliminate the main cause of migraines and headaches:
- dry leaves (1 tbsp. l.) pour 1 cup of water;
- bring the mixture to a boil and boil for 1-2 minutes;
- insist the broth for half an hour, strain and use.
To improve the condition of blood vessels should use a decoction of 1 tbsp. three times a day before meals.
No less effective in this case is the periwinkle infusion:
- in a thermos lay 1 tbsp. dry herbs, pour 200 ml of boiling water;
- insist the remedy for about 45-60 minutes.
After the specified time, the infusion should be filtered and consumed in ½ cup every day, in the morning, at lunch and in the evening, before meals.
With enlarged lymph nodes
With inflammation of the lymph nodes, as well as lymphogranulomatosis, tincture of pink periwinkle (cataranthus) is used. Use the product should be a course of 3 months, taking a break every two weeks.
To prepare the tincture, you need:
- flowers (4 tbsp. l.) pour 250 ml of vodka;
- insist the product in a dark, dry and ventilated room for 10 days;
- strain and consume tincture.
The drug is administered according to the scheme: 3 drops dissolved in 1 tbsp. water, drink 20 minutes before eating food, three times a day.
Did you know? Periwinkle is extremely viable. In a vase, it is able to maintain freshness to the last drop of water, and if it is further stuck in the ground, it will quickly take root and grow.
How to prepare and store
The guarantee of the high efficiency of vinca-based medicines is the correct procurement of raw materials, as well as the further storage of drugs. The plant is recommended to be collected in spring or at the beginning of the summer season. The culture is carefully cut with a sharpened, disinfected knife at a level of 4–6 cm from the soil surface. Further, the raw material is dried for one week, after having previously decomposed it with a thin even layer on a grid, a piece of gauze or other breathable natural material. Well-dried grass is put in paper bags or cotton bags and sent to a place that is warm and reliably protected from moisture and direct sunlight.
Video: Collection, preparation and storage of periwinkle
Periwinkle infusions have the shortest shelf life. Them experts advise you to use it immediately after cooking, for one day, since the processes that lead to fermentation and, as a result, the formation of bacteria, quickly change the composition of the product, turning it from useful to dangerous to health. The ideal option is to prepare each time a new, fresh portion of the drug.
Decoctions of leaves
Decoctions of herbs also need to be consumed fresh, as they quickly lose their properties.
But since these products undergo heat treatment, they can be stored in the refrigerator and consumed:
- for cosmetic purposes for wiping or compresses for 1-3 days;
- for domestic consumption - no more than 1 day.
Important! It is unacceptable to freeze a healing broth or infusions.
When the product is cloudy, the formation of films on the surface, the appearance of an unpleasant odor, it is strictly forbidden to use such a decoction.
Unlike infusions and decoctions, periwinkle tinctures for alcohol can be stored for several months.
The main thing when preserving the product is to observe some important conditions:
- a dark, dry, well-ventilated place;
- protection of the drug from direct sunlight;
- tightness of the package.
Under such conditions, alcohol tinctures can maintain their beneficial qualities for six months. If the product has acquired an unpleasant odor or changed color, then it is unacceptable to use it.
Periwinkle is one of the best medicinal plants, which is successfully used in traditional medicine, cosmetology, and the production of pharmaceuticals. Culture has a wide range of effects and, with proper, metered consumption according to the instructions, can cure many ailments. However, you must remember that this herb is poisonous, so its use must be agreed with the doctor.