Cedar life span
Cedar trees are large coniferous evergreens. They are representatives of the genus Cedrus. Evergreen culture provides excellent wind protection in large areas of real estate. The plant is suitable for decoration of streets or parks, successfully used for any gardening projects in the open air. Cedar trees are found in a wide range of climatic zones. The life span of this coniferous crop depends on location, environmental factors and many other nuances.
How long does cedar live
The family of cedar trees includes the main 4 species. These include:
- Atlas (C. atlantica).
- Cypriot (C. brevifolia).
- Deodar (C. deodara).
- Lebanese (C. libani).
Important! Man affects the forest ecosystem. Under the law, without special permission, citizens have no right to engage in deforestation.
There are hundreds of varieties of cedar conifers. Naturally, each of them has its own life expectancy. It is impossible to say exactly how much a cedar plant lives. There are varieties that can grow for 200-500 years. Long-livers are also found: their age is one and a half to three centuries.
Does the variety and species affect the life span
Undoubtedly, varietal features have a lifespan for cedar plants. For comparison:
- Siberian cedar pine can live for half a century. However, there are specimens in which 850 rings. Siberian cedar can reach this age when grown in the Moscow Region, central Russia, the Urals and, of course, in Siberia. Under natural conditions, in the taiga, fruiting of a plant begins in 40–50 years. When cultivated, cedar can begin to bear fruit after the age of fifteen;
- in the USA everyone who wants to visit the Olympic Park in Washington with their own eyes can see the red canadian long-lived cedar. There are 1460 rings on this tree. Basically, these conifers of the Sosnovy family tend to reach 800 years of age and a height of 60 meters with a trunk diameter of 1.8 to 2 m;
- growing in the Baltic cedar tree, past a century and a half mark;
- the longevity of a deodar (coniferous resident of the Himalayas) can really surprise everyone. The age-old mark for him is the norm, but there are specimens that are about 3 centuries old;
- Lebanese cedar adorns the flag of Lebanon. These evergreens have been covering mountain ranges year-round for 2–3 thousand years. Also, the Lebanese coniferous culture of the Pine family can be found in Israel, the Palestinian state, north-western Jordan, in the west of Syria and southern Turkey;
- Far Eastern frost-resistant cedar trees are on average 6 centuries old;
- Korean cedar looks like a Siberian pine. In adulthood, which is 400–450 years old, it reaches a height of 45–60 m. The tree has a straight trunk, whose diameter is about 2 m.The natural habitat is North Korea and Hondo Island in the Land of the Rising Sun;
- european cedar listed in the Red Book of Ukraine. Lives up to 1000 years.
Did you know? Lebanese cedars are noted in the Bible as one of the largest trees in the world.
Sunlight, moisture, frost and summer heat, nutrients and competing plants influence the formation of the crown and the lifespan of cedar plants. In a comfortable environment, cedar will grow faster, and favorable conditions will affect its appearance.
Environmental pollution is an urgent problem for all of humanity. Volunteers, municipal authorities and leaders of regional councils in the Russian Federation have recently begun to pay close attention to the organization of harvesting near-village pine forests, where Siberian cedar can grow up to two hundred years. This is a huge work that helps to protect not only the cedar plantations that grow especially long in the first years of life (8-15 cm by five years), but also the whole nature.
Did you know? Cedar wood was used by Native Americans to make canoes, baskets, and weapons.
How a tree dies
Reduced cedar vitality can be caused by tree age, environmental stress, or plant competition. Also, a coniferous plant may begin to die if it becomes a place of mass nesting of squirrels or birds.
The process of death of an evergreen culture begins with the fall of needles. Later, the destruction of the wood structure occurs, it can last for several thousand years. But even dried cedar can continue to nourish plants and insects, as well as serve as a new home for various large birds.
Important! Herbalists recommend taking tea from cedar needles for diseases of the bronchi.
Cedar certainly attracts attention with its magnificent appearance, and it does not matter how old he is. When growing this coniferous plant, you need to take seriously the choice of variety and properly care for it.