Making a box for DIY winter fishing
Winter fishing is not complete without a box containing gear and catch that you can sit on. It is not necessary to buy it at all, but you can do it yourself. The basis for it can serve as a variety of materials, including junk. This article will tell you about the different options for fishing boxes (barrels) made at home.
Drawings and drawer sizes
The box for fishing should be modeled based on the number and size of fishing accessories available. In it, all objects should be compact and practical - so that if desired, it was easy to extend and place them back. It is necessary to allocate a catching area and a place to place the brake, as well as other necessary things.
Experts when designing a sharaban recommend taking into account the following factors:
- The total mass of the item. He has to go through more than one hundred meters.
- Use practically the entire area and space. So, fishing rods can be fixed on the back of the box using belts or rubber bands.
- Strength. This item is used for fishing when fishing, so it should be comfortable and support the weight of the fisherman.
- It is also recommended to provide thermal insulation, but this will lead to an increase in the total mass of this item.
Important! It is necessary to monitor the tightness of the drum so that moisture does not get inside.
First, draw up drawings of the frame on paper. Dimensions can be taken from the finished factory product, where everything is already provided. The main parameter for determining the size of this item is the type of fishing. The larger the fish you are about to catch, the larger the box. Height ranges from 30 to 60 cm.
Recommended fishing box options:
- big - length 40 cm, width 15 cm, height 32 cm;
- small - length 32 cm, width 12 cm, height 28 cm.
Box Material Selection
To make a box for fishing you need to prepare the necessary material for this yourself. For this purpose, polystyrene (for thermal insulation), polystyrene, wood, plywood, plastic, metal are suitable. Production will take less time if you take the basis of a suitable canister, freezer or an unnecessary suitcase. These are almost ready-made containers, only they should be finalized.
The classic version is the manufacture of a wooden scarab. Smooth wooden boards are well suited for this purpose. The main thing is that they were not with chipboard, since in this case it will be impossible to drive nails into them.
Important! If the sharaban is large and weighty, then in the cold period you can use skids.
In the manufacture of a fisherman’s crate made of wood, the manufacturing features should be considered:
- When collecting the frame, nails and glue are used. This will make this item more durable. Boards are covered with glue and knocked down with nails.
- The lid is hinged. You can make an option when it is removable. To make the lid fit tightly, make latches. If desired, you can provide a lock on which the box would be closed.
- Inside, trim with a cloth. If this item is used as a seat, then a cover with a layer of insulation is upholstered on the outside.
- Partitions inside are best made of wood.
- So that the wooden charaben does not deteriorate from moisture, it is treated with a special water-repellent coating (varnish) from all sides. Processing is preferably carried out in several layers. The product should be selected without a pronounced smell, so that the catch is not saturated with it.
Video: DIY fishing box
Part 1 - Design
Part 2 - Making
- A box for fishing from foam plastic is quite practical:
- weighs little;
- keeps warm, and it’s not cold to sit on it.
For the manufacture of foam you need a thickness of at least 3 cm. If you take polystyrene instead, then 2 cm is enough.
Did you know? Many countries have fishing restrictions for fishing enthusiasts. The Soviet Union had daily catch rates. In Ukraine and Belarus they still operate, and in the Russian Federation they have ceased to be taken into account since 2008.
In the manufacture of a styrofoam, observe the following rules:
- All parts cut out according to the drawing are connected with liquid nails.
- The edges of the structure are protected with aluminum corners and rivets are used.
- A piece of plywood of the same size is inserted into the lid. This will increase the strength of the box, since the foam is not very durable.
- The lid is attached to the main box with piano loops.
- Belts are attached to the cover, and fishing rods are attached to them. Loops for portable straps are inserted on the sides.
- Be sure to make a latch.
- Process the entire box with a special coating of moisture in several layers.
- Such a sharaban is fragile, so the partitions should be made of a stronger material (metal, wood) so that they function as stiffeners.
In the manufacture of a scarab instead of wood, you can use more economical plywood sheets.
Its assembly has its own characteristics:
- fasten all parts with screws;
- the lid must be insulated with a thermal insulation material;
- after collecting all the parts, the box should be sanded so as not to be punctured by splinter;
- Be sure to apply several layers of the coating against moisture.
This version of the drum is durable, but, like a wooden product, has a decent weight.
From the freezer
The fishing drum from the freezer has good durability with low weight. It can last a long time.
Did you know? Some thermophilic fish hibernate during frosts (carp, crucian carp). Most species remain active during the cold season, so in winter fishermen catch bream, pike perch, ruff, pike, trout, and catfish.
If there is such a spare part, then it is easy to manufacture. You only need to perform the following steps:
- Pull the freezer out of an improperly repaired refrigerator.
- Remove unnecessary parts - plastic, tubes and more.
- Make the bottom of iron (plywood). It is fixed with screws.
- Make a cover of plywood sheet with insulation.
- Fix the plywood partitions on the screws, and if they are made of metal, rivets.
- On the sides make rivets.
- Treat the plywood bottom with a waterproof coating.
- Put the lock.
- Install the straps or elastic bands that are used for gear on the back of the drawer. Straps or belts are better for carrying a charaban.
From the canister
A plastic canister can be used as the basis for a scarab.
Important! The option of a homemade plastic fishing box has only one drawback - in the cold, such a product can crack.
To do this, do the following:
- Cut off the top of the container.
- Sand the edges with sandpaper.
- Cover the top with metal tape, secured with rivets.
- Make inside the partition of the available material (plastic or plywood).
- Cut the cover out of plywood or wood. For ease of sitting, it should be insulated.
- Attach the cover to the base with hinges and make a latch.
If there is no need for a large box, then you can make a scumbag from the battery.
The procedure in this case will be as follows:
- Drain the electrolyte from the battery, remove the cover and internal filling.
- Then rinse well with a solution of soda. Do not forget to protect your skin with gloves.
- Cut off the partitions inside the case, the contacts, leaving at the same time at the place of the partitions the stiffeners at least 2 cm.
- Uneven sharp edges should be rounded.
- Make the top of the battery cover. You can also make a cover from plywood or polystyrene.One side in this case is better to cut serving, making a smooth increase.
- Cover the lid with insulating material and attach to the bottom.
- Make mounts for pens, belt.
Consider carefully the design of the drawer lid. It is hinged or removable. In the latter case, it is made slightly less than the base and is upholstered in leather. For the lid on the hinges, a screed is made around the perimeter, for example, from a belt. A lock may be placed on it (optional).
Many replace it with two brackets on the wire. The lid should tightly close the box, so you need to monitor the tightness of its fit. Inside, the lid can be trimmed with elastic bands to which gear will be attached.
Outside, upholstery is made with a heater with material on which it will be comfortable to sit (foam rubber with dermatine). They must be waterproof. The cover is usually made of thick plywood or wood. She must bear the load of a seated adult. For the convenience of sitting, one of its sides is sometimes made prominent.
Collect all drawer components
Collect fishing box should be as follows:
- First, draw on the drawings the main frame of the box. Side walls are attached to the bottom.
- Then make and install the internal sections and partitions.
- The box is sealed by treating the seams with sealant and upholstering with heat-insulating materials. It is especially worth trying to isolate the fish compartment.
- A wooden or plywood shaban is recommended to be painted or varnished.
- Then make and install the lid.
- When the box is ready, fasten the carrying strap. It should be strong enough and be with a load balancer.
Did you know? Even the ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle wrote about winter fishing. In his essay Meteorology, he mentioned that the inhabitants of Pont make holes in the ice and fish.
Before using the made sharaban for its intended purpose, you should check its reliability. After all, it will be unpleasant if he let you down at the right time. To do this, he needs to give maximum load, that is, fill with equipment and put a load that simulates a catch.
It is advisable to wear it, checking the convenience of the belt and fastening. Then you should sit on it, since it can be used as a seat and must support the weight of the fisherman. Then you should leave the box in the cold overnight, and in the morning check its reliability.
Box for winter fishing can be made of various materials, including waste. This does not require any special skills. It is important to think over its sizes in advance and make a drawing, and then choose from the available basics.