How to make a fountain without electricity and a pump at home
If you want to organize a fountain on a personal plot or directly in an apartment, then you can use the information about the operation of hydraulics. This design works without a pump and electricity, but has several nuances, which should be familiarized in more detail before starting work.
Types of fountain without pump
The non-volatile fountain is the embodiment of knowledge about the hydro- and aerostatics of ancient people. The device was invented by Heron of Alexandria 200 years BC. e. His practice is used to this day.
There are 2 options for pump-less fountains. Both of them suggest the presence of 3 tanks located at different heights. The difference is that in the first embodiment, the movement of fluid is ensured by manually filling the main (upper) tank and moving it systematically to the lower ones through the tube. The duration of operation depends entirely on the volume of the main tank. The second option involves the presence of a water mill, due to which the movement of the liquid is carried out. However, in this case, the filling of the upper vessel is carried out manually.
The main drawback of such designs is the need to organize the removal of water from the lower tanks or manual transfusion of liquid from them into the upper tanks. But at home or on a summer cottage, even such a drawback can be used to solve some practical goals. For example, you can carry out irrigation or watering plants. And if the work is set up correctly, then with such a design it is possible to enrich water with oxygen in aquariums or a garden pond in which fish live.
Did you know? For many years, the famous Peterhof fountains operate on a system of interconnected vessels, and not at the expense of pumps.
In order for a home-made fountain to work smoothly and perform not only an aesthetic function, but also a practical one, you should choose the right site for its location. The purity of the watercourse is the main factor that should be considered when localizing the structure. Do not place it near trees and shrubs. It is best to organize a home fountain near a flower garden, flowerbed or lawn.
Even if the water overflows over the edge of the lower tank, it will only be beneficial since it does not have to be irrigated every night. In a house or apartment, such a design is placed where convenient. The main thing is to provide all conditions preventing liquid overflow beyond the edge of the lower tank.
For the principle of the perpetual motion machine to work in practice, you need to choose the right materials and containers for the design.
Given that the fountain model will be located on the street, you will need:
- vessels with a volume of 5 liters in an amount of 2 pcs. - this will ensure uninterrupted operation of the structure for 40-50 minutes (if desired, you can take more overall tanks);
- decorative bowl with similar volume tanks;
- silicone sealant;
- tight covers;
- connecting tubes also in the amount of 3 pcs. - can be taken from a dropper.
Important! Best for organizing a pump-less fountain, plastic water bottles along with lids are suitable. It is easier to work with them, and in case of breakdown or deterioration, they can be easily replaced with new ones.
Step-by-step installation instructions for a garden fountain without a pump
Making the construction in question is quite simple. Regardless of where the fountain will be located (garden, house, cottage), the algorithm for performing the actions will be the same.
Step-by-step instruction for manufacturing a non-volatile waterfall:
- Make small holes in the covers (diameter about 1-3 mm) - 2 for each. If the material is plastic, then this can be accomplished using a hot glowing nail. The main thing is that the holes are smaller than the tubes, since you need to provide a very tight connection.
- Fill one vessel 3/4 with water and close the lid.
- Take the second container, also close it with a cork.
- Pull the tube into both lids of the tanks, connecting them in this way to each other. Passing it through the holes, you need to make sure that one end is almost at the bottom of an empty vessel, and the second is under a cork filled with liquid.
- Place a container of water just above the empty one.
- Place a bowl over the liquid vessel. Make 2 holes in its bottom. Insert 2 tubes into them, leading the end of one into the filled tank, and the second into the empty one.
- Arrange the containers in the correct order, from top to bottom - a bowl filled with water and empty containers.
- Seal the junction of the tubes with covers. Wait for the material to dry.
- Pour 2 liters of water into the bowl and check the design. After stopping, you can swap the middle and lower tanks in some places, thus restarting the device.
Video: The Eternal Fountain of Heron
The country fountain should not only work, but also look beautiful. In its original form, it is quite unattractive, so you should immediately take care of its decoration. The first step is to make a recess in the area where it is planned to install a pump-less fountain. It will be enough 30 cm. The platform in the pit should be leveled so that the lower 2 bottles can be installed on it. The recess itself can subsequently be covered with pebbles or other material.
Did you know? In ancient Rome and Greece, fountains were not intended for landscape decoration, but played the role of sources with clean drinking water.
Above the elevation, you can lay out a mountain of stone, and above it place a decorative bowl of the fountain. If you can correctly direct the gravity of the jet so that it flows directly to the elevation, it will look very impressive. You can also organize the backlight using small diode lamps. This is just one design option. You can go a completely different way and immediately pick up decorative containers that do not need to be hidden. Otherwise, everything depends only on the flight of the author’s imagination.
Care and maintenance rules
The equipment in question, like any other, requires care and certain maintenance.
Rules of operation of the non-volatile fountain:
- Water in containers should be changed every 3-4 days to a new one, so that it does not stagnate and does not emit an unpleasant odor.
- The bowl should be washed periodically from mucus, which collects at the bottom during operation.
- For the winter, such a structure is best removed from the garden so that its components do not deteriorate.
Important! When installing and decorating a home fountain, do not forget to leave access to all its components to facilitate maintenance and operation.
A fountain without a water pump is quite simple to make from improvised materials. It can be used not only for decorative, but also for practical purposes. The construction will fit perfectly into the design of not only the garden, but also the apartment.