Fountain for giving from a flower pot: how to make yourself
Many types and styles of landscape design use decorative fountains. However, instead of expensive installations manufactured industrially, you can assemble the structure yourself, moreover, from simple materials at hand, such as, for example, a clay flower pot. How to do this will be discussed in the article.
Necessary materials and tools
At the heart of the device of a small fountain is the principle of enclosed space. There is a pump that pumps water, and there is a tank where this water gets and from where it flows. A decorative flower pot made of glass, stone or clay is ideally suited as a bowl.
Did you know? A funny incident occurred at the annual grape festival in Marino (Italy). Instead of water, wine was served at the fountains available here for the holiday, however, due to a mistake by technicians in 2008, the wine went into the pipes of the city water supply.
A pump with a built-in filter and interchangeable nozzles can be purchased at an aquarium store or construction site. The beauty of the kit is that by changing nozzles, you adjust the way the water stream is fed.
Commercially available models are airtight and safe, powered by mains (220 V). A cache-pot, unlike a regular flowerpot, is convenient because it does not have a drainage hole.Accordingly, the water has nowhere to go, it will circulate in a circle.
You will also need some tools and additional materials:
- fine mesh;
- large scissors;
- adhesive sealant;
- building level;
- waterproofing film;
- PVC pipe.
Process of creation
The easiest option is to make a circulation fountain.
When installing the submersible pump, do not place it on a metal substrate. It will quickly oxidize and begin to destroy the material of which the pump is made.
Step-by-step manufacturing instructions:
- At the installation site, you need to dig a hole 10-12 cm larger than the bowl.
- Around the pit dig a trench up to 10 cm deep.
- To protect the bottom from the roots of plants, a sand cushion is poured with a layer of 15 cm.
- A planter is placed on a level surface, its position is leveled.
- The container is fixed with sand, filling it along the edges of the future font so that the edges of the bowl protrude by 8 cm. You can additionally place small pebbles.
- The bowl is filled with water, not being added to the edges by about 6 cm.
- A pump is installed in the center. The cable is laid in a PVC pipe, which, in turn, is placed in a groove dug earlier.
- Next, a circle equal to the diameter of the font is cut out on the waterproofing sheet, leaving 1.5 cm for glue.
- Using a sealant, glue the edges, gently smoothing along the walls.
- A spray gun is attached to the pump with the water supply up.
- To close the font from debris will help a metal mesh with a small cell, on which decor elements are later fixed.
- Turn on the pump - the fountain is ready.
One of the simplest solutions is to lay flat stones of different sizes around the base, or large oval pebbles. You can decorate the garden fountain with a snag of unusual shape, plant a low decorative bush nearby. The frame of ground cover plants, mixed with beautifully blooming cereal, will look beautiful.
A popular design technique is the use of sculptures, solo or in a group. Figurines can be inside the font, and outside along the edge. On the surface of the water you can place several artificial water lilies, which will add naturalness.
Almost everything at hand is used in decoration:
- bamboo tubes;
- colored decorative stones from plexiglass;
- old glass bottles painted and pasted over with beads.
In the evening, a backlit pond will look beautiful in the garden. There are waterproof LED strips on sale. It’s easy to find even spotlights and lamps from the same series. They are safe, powered by 12 or 24 V, easy to install.
Pros and Cons of a Homemade Fountain
Homemade water construction, in the first place, is a significant cost savings. Not everyone can afford to buy a finished device or pay for a designer’s work.
- In addition to this factor, there are a number of advantages:
- A source of coolness, especially on a hot day, when located next to the bench.
- Thanks to the decor, a home-made mini-pond will be different originality.
- A simple structure is easy to disassemble for the winter, it is easy to repair and clean.
- The murmur of water, its play in the sun, has a calming effect, so this is also a corner of relaxation.
- The fountain can become both the center of a certain design style, and successfully complement it (Moorish, Japanese garden).
- The construction will help hide unsightly areas on the territory.
The disadvantage may be the cost of electricity, but with seasonal work it is not so much. Especially if you choose a low-power pump. With the small size of the structure, cleaning water from vegetable debris is not difficult.
Important! Keep an eye on the pump cable and its insulation so that the wires do not bend or lock anywhere.
To build a fountain in the country is a simple matter. The main thing is to choose the right pump, correctly carry out preparatory work and assembly. Such a decorative element will certainly become the center of attention on any personal plot.